Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Chicken Vindalooo!!

Hi All...If you are a connoisseur of non vegetarian food and you live in India, Goan food is definitely something you must have tried. Goa has been my second home and I am conversant with every nook and crannies of this place.

I love the beaches, the food and the atmosphere.The Goan food is primarily categorized into the food with Portuguese influence and the one with the local Hindu taste. When we come back from Goa the pantry gets stocked up with the authentic Balchao and Vindaloo pastes.These pastes actually helped a person like me to satisfy my Goan food craving taste buds to be satiated in a jiffy.

That being said I have seen my Mom prepare the most Yummy tasting Goan curries and Pickles right from scratch. She would follow the entire procedure of proper marination and slow cooking.But I would name myself as one of the most Laziest person, I try to find shortcuts for everything and this recipe is an example of one of my lazy efforts.

I changed this recipe by using chicken instead of pork.Its a multi-step recipe,so lets get started.






Ingredients:

Dry powder:
1" cinnamon stick
2-3 cardamom pods
2 Bay leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2-3 cloves.

Dry roast these and grind them to a fine powder.

8 oz chicken breast cut into cubes.
1 medium onion finely sliced
1/2 tsp cumin seeds.
1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tbsp tamarind paste( Readily available in the Indian grocery stores)
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar.

Preparation:

Set the dry ingredients aside. Fry the chicken cubes in oil and brown it up cooking it partially.Remove and drain them on a paper towel. Add some more oil and add the onions, and 2 tsps of the dry powder. when the onions about nice and soft add the ginger garlic paste. Add the spices, vinegar and the tamarind paste. Add the chicken and some water. Put the lid on and simmer for about 7-8 minutes.

Finally add some chopped cilantro....Yooohooo...Ready to eat!!!

Happy eating!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a connoisseur of non vegetarian food but do not live in India, so Goan food is definitely something I must try. ๑۩۞۩๑